Folklore, farming, flora and fauna and mythology walks
“…as long as there are epic and universal stories, we can belong and find our home "magical evening walks" with an actors and poet's twist; "full of love and passion for Ithaca."”
Three gentle evening storytelling walking tours:
Accessible and enjoyable living history tour around the real and mythical "Palace of Odysseus" in the location of Homer's school, Ithaca Greece. Rich with drama, poetry and living history" sewn together with information from archeologists and fifteen years of research and study of ancient Ithaca.
Discover Ithaca's folklore, culture and history on one of the popular and
"memorable" gentle evening Farmer's walks: Kioni and Stavros.
Also available on request: private tours ", weaved and cut to your cloth including shorter tours of the site of the Palace of Odysseus and in the area of the museum and ancient cemetery at Pilikata Stavros.
Farmer's and ancient mythology walks in search of a traditional and authentic Ithaca
A wealth of stories, myths, and local history told and shared on this mesmerising and metaphysical island of Ithaca Greece.
Farmer's walks; past and present of farming on Ithaca
- The walk starts at the model of the Palace of Odysseus. Hear imaginative descriptions of the day to day life of the Palace of Odysseus and the people who lived in it.
- What was life like for the maids and Penelope whilst Odysseus was away at war and taking his time to get home. How was she keeping this coveted Island of Ithaca safe from the 108 suitors? A woman weaving her way our of a tricky situation.
- Visit the church in Stavros, with stories of the Ionian islands patron saint and his acts of healing.
- Walk downhill overlooking Polis, the great metropolis of ancient times. Hear tales of 3000 years ago, Odyssean games, archaeological finds in the cave – valuable tripods, votive, masks; discoveries of worship of Odysseus and the Gods.
- The walk passes on a wonderful Mycenaean track to one of the oldest vineyards; drink in the views.
- Gentle uphill walk on an old donkey track through gnarled and twisted olive groves.
- Rest a while in the old village of Kalyvia. See goats, a donkey and old farming ways.
- Stop at his church where the Island’s saint and monk, Papoulakis was born. Here,were he found his calling, rest a while and taste local wine, traditional feta, olives and local olive oil; “a Farmers feast” and feel at home in the silence and peace.
- Return by a traditional family chapel and olive press.
- Panoramic views as the sun sets over Homer’s three seas, where many still believe the Palace of Odysseus lies.
- Visit the Odysseus and the Sea museum – hear and see stories and interpretations of adventure and seafaring.
- ” an original walk with a wonderful storyteller”
“a must do for all visitors to Ithaca" David Bridges.“
Meet: Stavros square
When: Tuesdays evenings
Time: 5 .30 p.m
Duration: 3 hours
Level: Easy walk with slight uphill and some loose screen.
Price: 20 euros pp/ Children free
(small groups only)
“Katrina is a gem, very knowledgeable and friendly. Her walks bring alive the magic of Ithaca“
Mr and Mrs Sanderson
Short healing herbs and farmers walk – Kioni and Raxi.
a popular and entertaining stroll around Agrotiri; farming land. Enjoy local wine and cheese and a cool drink at a traditional and very special old mini market.
A great introduction to Kioni; it’s past and present of farming and local culture and traditions. Stories of flora and fauna and healing herbs and plants; “what Ya Ya’s and Pa Pa’s knew.”
Time 6 p.m
Duration. 2 hours
Price 15 pp
Evening shaded walk around Homer’s school/ the Palace of Odysseus/ Megaron of Penelope
Starting at The Bridge, “in an area of mountain river’s and streams” (Homer) and with paths and springs fitting of the Royal Palace. See the golden light over Polyventhis (Homer) and explore magnificent ruins; Cyclopian walls, ancient springs where Greek gods still keep vigil. Explore the real and mythological story of the Odyssey walking in the footsteps of Penelope, the maids, Gods, goddesses, nymphs and the odd giant or too.
“A truly Magical evening walk, where poetry and the epic drama come to life in the words of a true and passionate storyteller”
“the most wonderful part of our whole trip to Greece” Judi, Vermont.
“who better to guide you” Greek Villa collection/Sunvil
Start: 5.30 p.m
Where: Platrethias square
Length: 3 hours
Price 20 pp
Details of Walks
All my walks are in the evening and are shady and cool.
Finish for a refreshing drink at a local cafe or taverna.
Times and location of walk may change slightly due to weather, time of year or guests needs and requests.
What you need: Wear good shoes, boots or walking sandals. Good idea to wear mosquito repellent. Bring a small bottle of water.
How to Book or meet me For details of and meeting point, time and to book please contact e mail: email@example.com You can also telephone when you are on the island:
Other private tours and walks are available at times and places to suit you.
00 30 6975 928240 or
00 44 7950690234
For reviews “highlight of our trip to Greece” see trip advisor, ask your rep or better still have a chat with a local in a bar or cafe. I do not put posters on trees around the Island as it is against my environmental policy to do so.
Walks are taken at the visitor’s own risk & should also be covered by your own personal adequate travel insurance.
No company, guide, agent, or tour operator is liable for any accident or injury or natural disaster.
Tales from the walks
Sun set Ithaca Greece
Thanks to David Wolverson for this stunning photo and...—Read More
How simply divine the Caper flower is. It grows along...—Read More
Milos walks – 2018
New 2018 Mills walks Where Greek gods still keep...—Read More